Virginia Jumbo Peanuts
Jumbo Virginia is an extra-large peanut with rich flavor. It has 1 or 2 extra-large nuts per pod. Harvests in 120 days and grow best in well-drained soil, but wants consistent waterings. Under favorable conditions, the plant yields 50-60 pods.
Out of stock
These are SEEDS not Plants 🙂
Virginia Jumbo Peanuts
How to Sow Peanuts
- Peanuts need a long, hot growing season to fully mature. They will not fully mature in areas that do not have at least 4-5 months of frost-free weather.
- Sow seeds directly outdoors after the last frost.
- Plant in full sun in loose, well-drained soil. Peanuts prefer slightly alkaline soil.
- Prepare the bed by turning the soil under to a depth of 8 inches. Level with a rake to remove clumps of grass and stones.
- Shell the seeds before sowing. Be careful to not damage the skin on the seeds.
- Create a furrow 2 inches deep and sow seeds 4-6 inches apart, being careful not to damage the tender seeds.
- Space rows 3 feet apart.
- Seeds germinate in 10-15 days.
- When plants are 2 inches tall, thin stand to 8-12 inches apart. Vines spread to 3 ½ feet.
- Dig up the entire plant and hang, with peanuts attached, in a dry airy location, or on poles outside to cure.
- Allow curing for 2-4 weeks.
- When well-dried, shake off the soil from the pods and shell before eating.
- Roast peanuts before eating as fresh nuts are not as flavorful.
Why Our Seeds Are Different
Locally Adjusted Heirlooms
All our seeds are heirlooms that are proven to be successful and stable for long term seed independence. We believe that fertile seeds produce more healthy food. We save local family heirlooms from extinction bringing these hardy cultivars to the seed banks, the marketplace and people’s tables.
Local Small Business
We are a homegrown seed and plant company with a suburban farm. We use urban sustainable agriculture with organic materials and no pesticides. We grow the plants and save the seeds, herbs, and fruit. We make our own packaging and sell it at the local farmers’ market.
Home Made Products
We make our own ointments and teas from scratch. We grow some of the ingredients ourselves and source what we can locally. We believe in the power of nature to help heal, soothe, and comfort. Try our teas for a lovely relaxing treat or our ointments to help with inflammation, pain, and skin conditions.